Unsupported Browser This website will offer limited functionality in this browser. We only support the recent versions of major browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge.
(860) 649-8066

On June 28, 2024, Town of Bolton staff became aware of an issue with some tax bills being calculated with the previous assessed value and the new mil rate resulting in undervalued tax bills. Further investigation revealed that this affected 556 accounts. Those accounts are being rebilled correctly. Only those 556 affected accounts have a revised deadline of August 30, 2024, to pay without penalty. All other tax bills are due not later than August 1, 2024. Closer investigation also found that the grand list calculations were incorrect, and it is $30,703,164.00 lower than it should be. With the current mil rate and the new grand list valuation the Town will collect approximately $1,000,000.00 more in taxes than is necessary to operate the Town for the current fiscal year. The Board of Selectmen and Finance Committee met on July 8, 2024, to discuss this matter. At their meeting they determined that they would continue to collect taxes based on the proper evaluations and the current mil rate. They also were in consensus that they would like to return funds to taxpayers in excess of the amount approved by taxpayers for this fiscal year. In an effort to determine the best way to accomplish that they formed an ad hoc committee which includes members of both boards. The charge of that committee is to work with the town administrator and town attorney to determine the most effective and efficient way to accomplish that task. They have also been tasked with completely investigating the issue and determining what happened and how to prevent it from occurring again in the future.


What forms of payment will you take?

We can take cash, check, money order or certified check.  We also take credit card and electronic check payments.  A processing fee of 2.50% is applied to credit card payments, $3.95 flat fee for debit cards.  Electronic check payment fees are $0.95 per transaction. 

Can I send one check for all my bills?

Yes, you can send one check for the bills that you receive.  

Please make sure your phone number is on your check in case we need to contact you.

What is the interest rates on late tax payments?

All real estate, motor vehicle, supplemental motor vehicle, and personal property taxes not paid on or before the first business day of the month following the due date are subject to interest at the rate of 1.5% per month (18% per year) from the due date on the unpaid balance of the installment due. If a taxpayer does not receive a bill, they should contact the tax collector to get a copy or look online. Failure to receive a tax bill does not invalidate the tax or the interest.

How is the value of my real estate property determined?

State law requires that all real estate, other than land classified as farm or forest, be assessed at 70% of true and actual (market) value as of October 1, 2023, the date of the last revaluation.

What if I have a mortgage that escrows for my taxes?

Banks and mortgage companies pay real estate taxes for property owners that escrow with them. The tax bill will go directly to them if they request the tax bill.  If you receive your real estate tax bill and your mortgage company is supposed to pay it please contact them and if necessary forward them the tax bill. 

What if I didn’t get my tax bill?

If you are missing a tax bill please call my office immediately at 860-649-8066 ext.6101 or check on this website under “online tax bill lookup”.  Failure to receive a tax bill does not void the tax and/or interest charges.


1. Motor Vehicles:

All motor vehicles registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Motor Vehicles purchased between October 1, 2022, and August 31, 2023, will receive a bill in January 2024 pro-rated to the time it was purchased.

If you have sold or junked a motor vehicle, or have moved out of state and returned your plates to the DMV, you may be eligible for a tax credit.  Please bring to the Assessor’s office the plate receipt for returned plates as well as one of the following: bill of sale, or the registration for the state in which you currently reside.  Please do this during the month the bill is issued. Please note, the DMV does not notify us when you no longer have a motor vehicle. It is your responsibility to notify the Assessor if you no longer own a motor vehicle.

If you have moved to a different town in Connecticut, please make sure your motor vehicle registrations are changed to your current address in order to make sure that the correct town receives the information. Changing your address on your motor vehicle driver’s license does not change the address on your registration.

State law requires that the N.A.D.A. appraisal guide be used to determine the value of your car; 70% of that value determines your assessment.

2. Real Estate:

All real property listed on the current grand list.

If the bill you receive is for real estate which you no longer own, please return the tax bill to the Tax Collector as soon as possible with the name and address of the new owner if known.

If you recently refinanced or paid off your mortgage and did not receive a bill please call my office or look online for your tax bill.  Failure to receive a tax bill does not invalidate the tax and/or interest charges

If you get a full real estate bill and you escrow your taxes with your mortgage lender, please contact them and forward the bill to them for payment.

If you qualify for a veteran’s exemption, please be sure the proper information is on file in the Town Clerk’s office.

3. Personal Property:

Includes primary business equipment, commercial furniture and fixtures, and unregistered motor vehicles.

What if I have delinquent motor vehicle taxes?

If your car taxes have not been paid, your name has been reported to the DMV for having delinquent motor vehicle taxes. All outstanding motor vehicle taxes in your name must be paid in cash, bank check, or money order to receive a clearance to register a car. If you pay your delinquent motor vehicle taxes with a personal or business check, you must wait 14 days from the date that we deposit your check before we will issue clearance. All municipal taxes are collectable for 15 years from the original due date of the tax. Interest will accrue for the full period of time that a tax is delinquent and may not be waived by the tax staff, the tax collector or any other municipal official.